Performance Consulting: Make Performance Your Business!
Full Day Workshop
Wednesday, September 14, 2016
“We need to train our leaders!” is the type of request frequently heard from managers and clients we support. This request is coming with a pre-determined solution, or tactic. By responding to this request we may be using time and resources on a training solution that doesn’t really solve the problem or help the organization. Yet, if we indicate to the requesting manager that this training solution may be unnecessary, we can be viewed as non-supportive.
What is required is that we influence the thinking of the manager/client through the questions we ask. The goal is to ask powerful questions that get the manager/client to say - “I’m not certain of the answer – but that is a great question!” We are uncovering an opportunity to work in a far more strategic, and business-linked, manner as we move to assist the manager or client in determining what actions may be needed. When partnering in this way, we are making the enhancement of human performance (not just learning solutions)for our business.
In this session, you will learn techniques for asking powerful questions that reframe a tactical training request into a strategic partnering opportunity. You will leave with a starter kit of questions you can use the next time a manager or a client calls you with a solution-in-mind.
Objectives, Agenda, Expectations
- What Does It Mean to Work Strategically?
- Three Kinds of Work: Transactional, Tactical, and Strategic
- Key Roles when Working Strategically
- The Performance Consulting Mental Model
- Four Types of Needs
- Gaps Map to Organize Information from Case Study
- The Performance Consulting Process
- Reframing Solution Requests
- Guidelines for Asking Powerful Questions
- Purposes and Steps for a Reframing Discussion
- Criteria to Qualify as a Strategic Opportunity
- Preparing Questions to Ask in Case Study Discussion
- Positive Model: Video Demonstration of Reframing Discussion in Case Study
- Debrief and Close
Location: Edward House, 1 Badger Rd, Framingham, MA 01702
A full refund will be issued if the cancellation request is made on or before fourteen calendar days before the scheduled event.